2016-2017 Season Announced
For our “Lucky 13” season, officially beginning Oct. 22 this year, Maestro Jaffe has planned another program of engaging, diverse and fun classical and pop music everyone will enjoy. Season ticket renewals are due by June 6; new season subscriptions are now on sale. Here’s what you have to look forward to.
First, our five season concerts at the Harris Center:
- Rhythmic Heat: Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016, 7:30 p.m. The orchestra plays Marquez’s Danzon No. 2, Ravel’s Piano Concerto and Bernstein’s Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. Guest soloist: pianist Natsuki Fukusawa.
- Holiday Cheer: Saturday, Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 4 at 2:00 p.m. Our annual holiday concert welcomes back the American River College Concert Choir and Chamber Singers with Ralph Hughes, director. Start your season in a joyful mood with our collection of favorite holiday tunes, including choruses from Messiah and Chichester Psalms and excerpts from The Nutcracker and Die Fledermaus, along with arias from the operas Carmen and The Barber of Seville. As always, we include traditional favorites and singalong carols. Guest soloist: mezzo-soprano Alexandra Schenck.
- Russian Romance: Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017, 7:30 p.m. An all-Russian night featuring the country’s passionate and unique musical styles: Shostakovich’s Festive Overture, Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto and selections from Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet. Guest soloist: violinist Jessica Linnebach.
- Organ Symphony: Saturday, April 22, 7:30 p.m. An organ is an unusual instrument for a symphony, but two pieces featuring an organ will highlight this evening’s performance: Handel’s Organ Concerto in B-flat major, op. 4, no. 6; and Saint-Saens’ Symphony No. 3 (“Organ”). We’ll also play Brahms’ Academic Festival Overture. Guest soloist: organist Elizabeth Forsyth.
- Festa Italiana; Saturday, June 3 at 7:30 p.m., Sunday June 4 at 2:00 p.m. An Italian-themed pops evening featuring a Rossini overture, traditional Neapolitan songs, “That’s Amore,” operatic gems, favorite movie themes by Italian composers, plus Tchaikovsky’s Capriccio italien. Soloists: soprano Yelena Dyachek, lyric tenor Eric Margiore and tenor Bradley Wisk.
We also perform two additional community outreach concerts each year, one free and the other low cost, to bring our music to broader audiences.
- Dancin’ in the Street: Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016, 6:30 p.m. Our annual “symphony al fresco” at the El Dorado Hills amphitheater has a distinct jazz flavor this year. You’ll tap your toes to such music as Barroso’s Brazil, Brubeck’s Unsquare Dance, Bernstein’s Mambo, Borodin’s Polovtsian Dances, a Duke Ellington medley and more. Free. Come early with a picnic for the best seating.
- It’s About Time! Family Concert: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 11:00 a.m. This concert, our second annual low-cost family program, is designed to introduce newbies and youths to classical music and offer a mix of musical entertainment and education for seasoned fans. The repertoire explores catchy rhythmic elements in such pieces as: Strauss’ “Thunder and Lightning” polka and “Voices of Spring” waltz, Prokofiev’s march from The Love of Three Oranges, Lalo Schifrin’s theme from Mission Impossible and Tchaikovsky’s “Tarantella” finale from Capriccio Italien. The concert is followed by an instrument “petting zoo” to give youngsters a chance to try out the instruments themselves. Harris Center. Tickets are $5 for youths, $10 for adults; the cost is not included in the season subscription.
Tickets can be purchased by clicking here, by calling 916-608-6888 or by visiting the Harris Center Box Office. Renewal for season subscribers is now in progress; you must renew by June 6 to keep your seats. New subscribers can begin purchasing season tickets June 20. Season subscription prices range from $90 to $265, depending on seat choice, as much as a 20 percent discount over individually purchased tickets. Prices exclude Harris Center fees:
- Zone 1 $265 (limited availability)
- Zone 2 $176 – $196
- Zone 3 $156 – $176
- Zone 4 $132 – $155
- Zone 5 $90 – $113
Click here to download Season Brochure.